Oil Sands Development Project Modeling
Many professionals build models to assess the impact and feasibility of undertaking new projects. This course focuses on the skills required to design and create an interactive financial model to help decide whether an oil & gas company should develop an oil sands deposit. Issues related to both mining and in situ projects will be discussed. The course material includes model design, logic, construction, financial concepts and accounting treatment. Various intermediate Excel tools along with helpful keyboard shortcuts will also be covered throughout the course.
Participants should have a basic working knowledge of Excel and the oil sands sector prior to taking this course.
8 - 16 hours, depending on the amount of material to be covered.
Design and Structure a Financial Model
- Design a clear and logical financial model
- Discuss the need for a model to serve as a marketing tool
- Create clearly defined inputs and assumptions sections
Build Scenarios and Financial Forecasts
- Use switches to create effective scenarios and value drivers
- Forecast and build-up the project’s revenues and expenses
- Construct all necessary schedules
- Develop a cash flow projection for the project
Evaluate the Project
- Incorporate a schedule to evaluate the project’s returns
- Build a strong summary page to display the results
- Use various sensitivity tools to sensitize the project’s returns
- Conditionally format output tables to highlight specified results
- Analyze the impact of building an upgrader or selling diluted bitumen directly to refiners