Power BI Desktop
This course provides an introduction on how to refine, analyze and visualize data with Power BI Desktop. A rich corporate data set is used to build a professional quality interactive dashboard. The relationships between various data sources are defined to create a relational data model. This model forms the foundation for an interactive dashboard with a variety of exhibits. Participants will be able to explore the company’s data by cross-filtering and drilling down through various levels in the exhibits. This course is designed as an introduction to Microsoft Power BI Desktop which is free to download and install.
Note: This software is currently only available for PC / Windows
Participants should have a basic working knowledge of Excel and are expected to download & install Power BI Desktop in advance of the course.
Connecting & Refining Data
- Overview of Power BI interface and workflow
- Review some common types of data connections
- Discuss best practices for editing queries
- Settings for defining data categories
- Demonstration of basic table transformations
- Tools used to manipulate text, numbers and dates
- Creating index and conditional columns
Building a Relational Data Model
- Review of best practices for data modeling
- Common guidelines for database normalization
- Discussion of lookup tables and data tables
- Understanding primary keys and foreign keys
- Creating, defining and editing table relationships
- Review of star schemas and snowflake schemas
- Discussion of relationship cardinality
Data Visualization with Reports
- Best practices and guidelines for report design
- Introduction and layout of the Report View
- Adding various visualizations to reports
- Visualization options for fields and formatting
- Using slicers to filter report visualizations
- Filtering at various levels in Report View
- Editing interactions to control cross-filtering
Upcoming Power BI Desktop EventsAll Events
Description This course provides an introduction on how to transform, analyze and visualize data BI ...
Sign up for The BenchMarq to stay informed of Marquee news & events.