Power BI Desktop
This course provides an introduction on how to refine, analyze and visualize data with Power BI Desktop. A rich corporate data set is used to build a professional quality interactive dashboard. The relationships between various data sources are defined to create a relational data model. This model forms the foundation for an interactive dashboard with a variety of exhibits. Participants will be able to explore the company’s data by cross-filtering and drilling down through various levels in the exhibits. This course is designed as an introduction to Microsoft Power BI Desktop which is free to download and install.
Note: This software is currently only available for PC / Windows
Participants should have a basic working knowledge of Excel and are expected to download & install Power BI Desktop in advance of the course.
Connecting & Refining Data
- Overview of Power BI interface and workflow
- Review some common types of data connections
- Discuss best practices for editing queries
- Settings for defining data categories
- Demonstration of basic table transformations
- Tools used to manipulate text, numbers and dates
- Creating index and conditional columns
Building a Relational Data Model
- Review of best practices for data modeling
- Common guidelines for database normalization
- Discussion of lookup tables and data tables
- Understanding primary keys and foreign keys
- Creating, defining and editing table relationships
- Review of star schemas and snowflake schemas
- Discussion of relationship cardinality
Data Visualization with Reports
- Best practices and guidelines for report design
- Introduction and layout of the Report View
- Adding various visualizations to reports
- Visualization options for fields and formatting
- Using slicers to filter report visualizations
- Filtering at various levels in Report View
- Editing interactions to control cross-filtering
Upcoming Power BI Desktop EventsAll Events
Please note that this session will be offered as a Webinar and course times are course provides an A ...
Sign up for The BenchMarq to stay informed of Marquee news & events.